Friday, August 14, 2009

My Little Fighter

Well little Miss Jolianne, you have really thrown Daddy and I for a loop. I went for a heart scan to see if you would have any heart problems when you were born and it turns out that you will. We aren't really sure of the full extent of the problems right now but we do have an idea of what to expect. So far there are two problems. Ventrucular Septal Defect (VSD) and Pulmonary Atresia. It is possible that the Pulmonary Atresia could be Truncus Atresia. Here are some pictures of what a normal heart looks like and what your heart possibly looks like.

Normal

In a normal heart your blood comes into your heart to your Right Atrium, then to your Right Ventricle, into the Pulmonary Artery, into your lungs to get oxygen, back into your heart to your Left Atrium, into your Left Ventricle, and then out through your Aorta into your body to repeat the process each time your heart beats.

Tetralogy of Fallot

I got a picture of Tetralogy of Fallot because it shows both of the heart problems that you have in the same picture. You have not been officially diagnosed with this condition. We have been told that your heart is missing the Pulmonary Artery, the one that takes your not oxygenated blood into your lungs. It is possible that the Pulmonary Artery is very small, or that it is attached to the Aorta (instead of leading out from the right ventricle. The other thing that is missing is the wall between your Right Ventricle and your Left Ventricle, this causes the not oxygenated blood to mix with the oxygenated blood. While you are in my tummy you have a valve called a PDA that exists because you are not breathing on your own and your are getting your oxygenated blood from me. After you are born that valve closes on its own.
The plan for now is that we are going to try to keep you inside Mommy until you are fully term. At that point you can be given medicine to keep your PDA open so that you have time to have your heart problems corrected. Everyone that I have spoken with feels confident that this procedure will be just what you need. I am praying everyday that you will make it to term and we can send a big strong healthy girl into surgery with an excellent chance of a full recovery.
I love you with all of my heart and I will be doing everything in my power to ensure that I give you the best possible chance at life. You are in every one's prayers everyday. I know you will be fine.
Love,
Mommy



3 comments:

Nana and Papa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nana and Papa said...

Dear Jolianne,
You are our sweet baby girl and yes a little fighter too! Your Mommy and Daddy are being brave and are already taking care of you and protecting you. So you just stay in there where you're warm and safe and grow big and strong to prepare for this big world. We love you very much and are praying for our little Angel.

Your Nana and Papa

The Claytons said...

Jolianne,

Aunt Kim knows that you will do just great! I am praying for you (your mommy, daddy and big brothers too). Stay in there for as long as you can to grow big and strong for your heart surgery. I love you my sweet little niece!

Aunt Kim